Update: November 30, 2020
Earned Awards Extension
1. Which members are eligible to have their earned awards extended?
All members (base and elite) on a global basis will have their qualifying unused, expiring awards extended.
2. Which awards will be extended?
Awards with 2020 Expiration: All unused Free Night, Suite Upgrade or Club Lounge Access awards with expiration dates between March 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 will be extended to December 31, 2021.
Awards with 2021 Expiration: All unused Suite Upgrade and Club Lounge Access awards with February 28, 2021 expiration dates will be extended to December 31, 2021. In addition, all unused Free Night awards that were earned in 2020 with 2021 expiration dates will be extended to December 31, 2021.
3. Are there any awards that will not be extended?
Healthcare Heroes Free Night awards that were gifted to frontline workers at NYC Health + Hospitals / Elmhurst will maintain their original June 30, 2021 expiration date.
4. How will the award expiration date extension be facilitated?
The award extension will be generated by World of Hyatt – members do not need to take action. Qualifying unused Club Lounge Access and Suite Upgrade awards that expire February 2021 and promotional Free Night awards issued in 2020 with expiration date before December 31, 2021 will be replaced with a new award beginning November 20, 2020. All other qualifying, unused awards will be updated by the 20th day of the month in which the award would have originally expired.
Elite Status Extension
1. Which members are eligible to receive a special elite status extension?
Status and benefits have been extended for all current elite members on a global basis without having to re-qualify. This means that whatever a member’s status was as of March 31, 2020 – whether Discoverist, Explorist or Globalist – it has been automatically updated to reflect a February 28, 2022 expiration date.
2. How and when will these elite status extensions be facilitated?
The status extensions have been generated automatically by World of Hyatt – members do not need to take any action. All elite tier extensions should now be reflected in members’ accounts.
3. Will members be granted their tier status from February 2020?
No, status was extended based on status as of March 31, 2020, which reflects activity through all of 2019.
4. What should members do if they believe they are eligible but don’t see updated status reflected in their accounts?
If a member does not see the extended elite tier status in his or her account, he or she can reach out to the nearest Global Contact Center using the following details.
- Country specific phone numbers and email addresses can be found here
- Or, members can contact World of Hyatt through WeChat (WeChat ID: HyattHotels).
5. What’s changing in 2021 with regards to earning tier status in World of Hyatt?
Elite status requirements for Base Points and Tier-Qualifying Nights are being lowered by 50% for most tiers for 2021. This means that members will be able to qualify or requalify for elite status with half the number of qualifying nights or Base Points normally required in a calendar year.
- Discoverist status will require five Tier-Qualifying Nights or 12,500 Base Points
- Explorist status will require 15 Tier-Qualifying Nights or 25,000 Base Points
- Globalist status will require 30 Tier-Qualifying Nights or 50,000 Base Points
- The criteria for earning Lifetime Globalist status will not change
6. Will I be able to earn Lifetime Globalist status with 50% of the criteria required?
The criteria for earning Lifetime Globalist status remains unchanged and requires 1,000,000 Lifetime Base Points over the course of membership in World of Hyatt.
7. I typically qualify for tier status based on the number of events I hold each year. How is that impacted?
The requirements for earning tier status based on the number of qualifying events in a calendar year is not changing. See details for earning.
8. If I earn tier status with the reduced criteria in 2021, when will that status expire?
Tier status earned in 2021 is valid through February 28, 2023.
9. Will stays at M life Rewards Destinations, Small Luxury Hotels of the World and Lindblad Expeditions count towards the reduced criteria?
Qualifying nights at M life Rewards Destinations, Small Luxury Hotels of the World and Lindblad Expeditions count towards the reduced criteria just like they do normally.
10. What is a Tier-Qualifying Night?
A Tier-Qualifying Night is any night when a member stays at a Hyatt hotel or resort, M life Rewards Destination, Small Luxury Hotels of the World or Lindblad Expedition and pays an Eligible Rate or redeems a free night award, and associates his or her World of Hyatt membership number with the reservation. A member must check-in and physically occupy the room for the night to qualify.
11. I have a stay with a check-in date in 2020, but a checkout date in 2021. Will it count towards tier status in 2020 or 2021?
World of Hyatt night eligibility is based on checkout date so, all qualifying nights from that stay will count in 2021.
12. I have a stay with a check-in date in 2021, but a checkout date in 2022. Will it count towards tier status in 2021 or 2022?
World of Hyatt night eligibility is based on checkout date so, those nights will count towards 2022 tier status.
13. How long will it take for my tier to update after reaching the reduced criteria for 2021?
Tier status will update once the qualifying nights or Base Points are added to your account just like it normally does.
14. Is registration required for earning tier status in 2021 with reduced criteria?
Registration is not required. The program will track qualifying nights and Base Points and award status automatically based on the reduced criteria for 2021.
15. Will my benefits change with the reduced criteria?
World of Hyatt tier benefits are not changing with the reduced criteria. When you meet the reduced criteria to achieve tier status, you will receive the benefits associated with that new tier.
16. How are Milestone Rewards impacted with the change in reduced criteria for tier status in 2021?
Milestone Rewards are separate from elite status. They begin at 20 qualifying nights stayed in a calendar year and continue for each additional 10 qualifying nights, up to 100 nights. The requirements to earn Milestone Rewards in 2021 are not changing. For details, click here.
17. Which awards are Milestone Rewards?
For information on which awards are Milestone Rewards and requirements for earning them, click here.
18. If I currently have a My Hyatt Concierge, and maintain my tier, will I keep my My Hyatt Concierge or will I need to stay 60 qualifying nights?
My Hyatt Concierge is a Milestone Reward that is earned after staying 60 qualifying nights or earning 100,000 Base Points in a calendar year. Once you qualify, you have access to your My Hyatt Concierge for the remainder of the year in which you qualify plus 14 months.
19. Will Bonus Nights earned from the current Bonus Journeys promotion count towards the reduced tier criteria for 2021?
Yes, Bonus Nights earned from Bonus Journeys will count toward earning elite status in 2021.
20. Will the Bonus Points I earn from the current Bonus Journeys promotion count toward the reduced criteria for earning tier status in 2021?
No, only Base Points count towards earning tier status in World of Hyatt. For details on how Base Points can be earned see the World of Hyatt program terms.
21. If I participate in Bonus Journeys will I be able to earn tier status with even fewer nights stayed in 2021?
Yes, for example, if you are registered for Bonus Journeys and stay 15 qualifying nights between January and February 28, 2021 (checking out on or before February 28, 2021), you will earn 15 Tier-Qualifying Nights for your stay and 15 Tier-Qualifying bonus nights for a total of 30 Tier-Qualifying Nights. These 30 Tier-Qualifying Nights would qualify you for Globalist status in 2021, which is valid through February 28, 2023.
22. If I participate in Bonus Journeys and I have the World of Hyatt Credit Card will I be able to earn tier status with even fewer nights stayed in 2021?
Yes, for example, if you are registered for Bonus Journeys and stay 13 qualifying nights between January and February 28, 2021 (checking out on or before February 28, 2021), you will earn 13 Tier-Qualifying Nights for your stay and 13 Tier-Qualifying bonus nights for a total of 26 Tier-Qualifying Nights. These 26 Tier-Qualifying Nights plus the 5 Tier-Qualifying Nights you receive annually for having an open World of Hyatt credit card (for a total of 31 Tier-Qualifying Nights) would qualify you for Globalist status in 2021, which is valid through February 28, 2023.
23. Will the points I earn back from Free Nights on Sale or those earned with 3x Points on Dining count toward earning tier status in 2021?
Base Points count toward earning tier status. The points earned back from Free Nights on Sale are Bonus Points and therefore do not count toward earning tier status. The points earned with 3x Points on Dining are Base Points and Bonus Points (5 Base Points per eligible USD + 10 Bonus Points per eligible USD). The Base Points from this promotion would qualify toward earning tier status but not the Bonus Points.
Postponing Award Chart Changes
1. When will the changes to the award chart become effective?
Effective 8:00am CT, October 29, 2020, World of Hyatt will adjust the award categories for the 12 hotels moving down in category. The hotels moving up in category will not be adjusted until mid-March, with more details to be shared at a later date.
2. What are the current point redemption values for standard night free night award category?
Category 1 = 5,000 World of Hyatt points
Category 2 = 8,000 World of Hyatt points
Category 3 = 12,000 World of Hyatt points
Category 4 = 15,000 World of Hyatt points
Category 5 = 20,000 World of Hyatt points
Category 6 = 25,000 World of Hyatt points
Category 7 = 30,000 World of Hyatt points
Category 8 = 40,000 World of Hyatt points
3. For free night award redemption reservations made before 8:00am CT, October 29, 2020, which award chart will be effective?
All free night award redemptions booked before 8:00am CT, October 29, 2020, will follow the current Award Chart. For example, if you book an award night prior to 8:00am CT, October 29, 2020, for a stay that occurs on October 29 or after, the booking will be at the current Award Chart. However, if that booking was at a property that is shifting to a lower category that requires fewer points, the difference in points will be returned to the member. Any free night award redemptions booked at 8:00am CT, October 29, 2020 or after, will follow the new Award Chart.
4. How will award nights booked prior to 8:00am CT, October 29, 2020, be impacted if the hotel I am staying at now requires fewer points?
Any Free Night or Points & Cash Award booked prior to 8:00am CT, October 29, 2020, for nights on or after October 29, 2020, at a property that is shifting to a lower category and will require fewer points will be adjusted to the new, lower category and the difference in points will be returned to the member.
5. How will award nights booked prior to mid-March, be impacted if the hotel I am staying at requires more points?
Any Free Night Award booked prior to mid-March, at a property that is shifting to a higher category and will require more points will not be affected. Reservations will remain in place at the originally booked point level. For example, a Free Night Award booked at a Category 1 hotel for 5,000 points before mid-March, that is moving to a Category 2 hotel for 8,000 points will remain at 5,000 points.
6. Starting at 8:00am CT, October 29, 2020, how will modifications to existing reservations be handled?
Any modifications made to reservations on or after 8:00am CT, October 29, 2020, will follow the terms of the new Award Chart.